Sunday, December 20, 2009


So we had quite a bit of snow yesterday; I think the total was 11 inches. I tried to go out for just a quick ride around the neighborhood but it was far too slippery and I couldn't get any traction.

That didn't stop me from going out today, though! I rode to the Rec to work out, and that trip was mostly fine. Mostly-- I had to ride through so much slush that my butt was soaking wet and totally numb by the time I got there! But there were very few slippery patches.



I decided to go my usual back way home and that's where the trouble started. As you can see in the picture above, the back roads were still pretty snowy. It wasn't deep, but it could be slippery and I fishtailed around a little bit. One of the great things about crank forward bikes is that their configuration allows you to put your feet flat on the ground while still sitting on the seat. That was a tremendous help in keeping the bike steady.



The other problem was that the wind was blowing, and it was blowing hard enough to make it difficult for me to stay upright. Plus the snow was stinging my face! I really need to get a pair of goggles. I tried to get a picture of the snow blowing across the fields and roads-- it looked more like water flowing over rocks than snow blowing across the landscape-- but none of the pictures I got came out. Here's a picture of me, though, looking kind of chilly!



3 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally rad. Although, I do need to go get some hot chocolate to warm up after looking at those photos. Brrrrrrrrr!

Brandy said...

You are a brave woman! I'm having flashbacks to when I went to MSU and the crazy kids that would cycle around campus no matter how much snow was on the ground. I can't even remember how many times we saw ambulances out in snowstorms due to cyclists!! LOL Sure looks cold there!!

Disneypal said...

You are quite brave to go out in that - too bad the photos didn't all come out. You look VERY cold !