Sunday, January 3, 2010

Happy New Year! Pt. 2


New Year's day I rode down to the local Brethren church for a traditional New Year's meal: pork and sauerkraut. I also had mashed potatoes, applesauce, a roll and a piece of angel food cake. The church uses the monies raised through the pork and sauerkraut dinner to fund their youth programs and various other church-related needs.

I had never heard of pork and sauerkraut as a New Year's day tradition until I moved out here about six years ago. I don't know if it's a German tradition or specific to the Pennsylvania Dutch, but it's supposed to bring good financial luck in the coming year. I hope so, because I could use some financial luck these days!

It was foggy starting out:

After my meal I rode over to the park to take some pictures, most of which didn't come out very well. Here's two that were ok-- a picture of my bike at the park (of course a picture of my bike, lol) and one of the stone lion:

1 comment:

Cloves said...

You're lion picture is beautiful.

I love sauerkraut, that's a tradition I could get behind.