Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I did it!


I accomplished a big goal today-- I rode 24 miles in one go, rather than doing my usual ten or so earlier in the day and then adding anywhere from three to fifteen later on. Yes, before today the longest I ever rode at one time was fifteen miles. At least that I can remember! Certainly since I've had this bike. I could ride over twenty miles in one day, but not at one time. So I'm quite pleased and feel confident that I can reach my goal of riding fifty miles in one day by the end of the summer.
This is Sunshine. At least that's what her ear tag says. She wasn't quite sure what to make of me at first but eventually overcame her shyness and looked right at the camera. This farm is an Amish farm across from the Lancaster Airport. Riding through here was pure hell! The wind was so, so strong and coming directly at me. I was quite envious of the two cyclists I saw going in the opposite direction with the wind at their backs... The sun was also a problem today and I got a pretty bad sunburn on my arms and face. It didn't seem so bad when I was out there, but now it's extremely red and painful. I definitely need to be more careful in the future or I could have heat exhaustion. Don't want that for sure!

On Easter I rode about 24 miles as well, but broken up into three parts. I rode six miles to my mom's, then about five miles to my friend Sheree's and then close to fourteen miles from her house to mine.


Now the reason I went fourteen miles between her house and mine is that I got LOST. I was supposed to head back to my mom's for a little while, but wanted to take back roads and avoid a certain busy area.

I went left instead of straight, straight instead of right and so on and so on. My preference for going downhill rather than working to go uphill certainly played a part as well! I don't know why I do the downhill thing over and over again. I know if you go down you eventually have to go up again but I keep trying to avoid the hills. Just lazy, I guess!

At least I got to see some new scenery. One of the roads I passed is called Spooky Nook Road, and here's Spooky Nook Greenhouse, which isn't on Spooky Nook at all but on Colebrook. Spooky Nook sounds more interesting for sure!

And of course I couldn't help but take a picture of my bike in front of said greenhouse/farm:


No comments: