Sunday, May 16, 2010

I made a few new friends yesterday


I rode down by the meadow reclamation area yesterday. My plan was to head out to Newport Road to check on the wild strawberries I photographed last week and if they were bearing fruit maybe get brave and eat one. Along the way I met some interesting creatures!


The cutie above is Boomer, and obviously a bulldog! He was so wiggly and friendly that I had to take about twenty pictures before getting this one. Boomer was out for a walk with his two young owners and their aunt. One of the boys wanted to show me a "secret path" into Lititz, but when I saw it I wasn't allowed to photograph it, else it wouldn't be a secret path anymore, would it?

So I continue down the (non-secret) path and I see this:
and I thought, "What the heck?" or something like that, lol. I thought it was a dead possum at first. But as I got closer it was obviously a turtle:

I'm pretty sure he (or maybe she) was a snapping turtle... he certainly liked clicking his jaws at me!

I know-- it looks like he's smiling. But he's actually thinking how awesome it would be to bite my leg off...

This turtle definitely had a 'Go ahead. Make my day' attitude:

A cute (?) butt:

And some rather large claws-- or maybe they're talons?

And here he looks rather statesman like, I think:

And finally, a Red Admiral butterfly. I love them because they seem curious; they may flutter away but always come back and land nearby.

Whew. That's a lot of pictures. I also went for a long ride today, but will leave that for another post!

5 comments:

Sunshine and Shadows said...

I love that they wouldn't let you take a picture of the secret path. You were a good sport about it.

Julie said...

I love turtles, but I'm not sure about that snapping turtle! Great captures!

Kat said...

I was for sure that far away picture was road kill. I'm glad you didn't post a picture of road kill! :) That is one BIG turtle though

helmet hair 365 said...

Believe it or not, my brother and his friends found a snapping turtle that was probably three times the size of this one.

It was just about as big as a trash can lid-- and I know this because when they caught it they transported it in a metal garbage can and it completely filled the bottom of the can. They did let it go again.

Thanks for reading my blog!

Wingnut said...

Howdy neighbor! I live just a bit away from you in Northern Maryland. I also love riding my bike though I haven't in a very long time. I may follow your blog awhile just to see if I can get inspired enough to get my own bike out.