Sunday, May 30, 2010

I love long-ears!


I love mules. They're highly intelligent, mentally stable-- almost imperturbable really-- hardworking, sure-footed and generally kind. Mules are also masters of self preservation and won't do things such as overwork themselves or work while injured. I don't wonder if that trait is a reason they've gotten a reputation as being stubborn. A mule will definitely stand its ground in that way!

I shared a picture of my mule Ida in an earlier post. I was always crazy about horses when I was a girl, although I didn't get to ride until I got older. When I was about fourteen- so this would have been the early eighties-- Smithsonian magazine did a story on mules, picturing two blond sorrels on its cover. After reading the article I decided that if I was ever in a position to buy a horse I would try and find a blond sorrel mule instead.

When I was in my early twenties I became a farrier's apprentice. One of our client's hobbies was carriage driving and they had a mule on the farm that was used for driving and riding-- Ida. In fact one of the grooms on this farm would ride Ida in the hunt (fox hunt, that is). After I bought her, I rode her bareback around town and to the local park all the time. I couldn't afford a saddle so bareback was all there was! She came with me when I left New Jersey for Chester county, Pennsylvania in 1993, but I had to sell her when my son was born in 1995. I simply didn't have the money to care for her anymore. I sold her to the barn where I kept her, and they used her for children's camps and things like that as she was so very gentle and good-natured. I miss her!

So-- these mules are from the farm with the baby. They were shading themselves under those trees when I came by, but being the inquisitive creatures that they are, a couple came over to check out me and my camera. I love their expressive faces! I still haven't been able to get a good shot of the baby; here's the only half-decent one:

Baby was curious but mom was cautious and they walked to the other side of the hill where I couldn't see them!

These two live on the same Amish farm as Sunshine the cow. In fact I think this is a picture of them working.

The one on the right was a little bit shy but the one on the left came right up and practically posed for pictures.


Looks like he works out, doesn't it?

Now he's letting his inner sweetheart show-- click on the picture to really see his expression:

And then suddenly he was intense again-- I love this guy:
As of right now I have no clients on Memorial Day, so maybe I'll try again to get some pictures of the baby. He's going to be big before you know it!

7 comments:

Sunshine36616 said...

Love the mule pictures! I'd love to see pictures of the baby.

Cho Yung Tea said...

ah...really catchy pictures...

She Rides a Bike said...

Great mule shots. I just got back from hiking Bright Angel and Kaibab Trails at the Grand Canyon where we encountered a number of mules (and their calling cards) on the trail. Quite sturdy creatures and took a number of photos myself.

Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt said...

I never really have seen a good looking mule until these. Great shots!

sencha said...

very nice pictures

Cho Yung Tea said...

These are great pictures, I'm setting one to my computer background right now.

cho yung tea said...

Very striking pictures and beautiful creatures.