Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Day 44 of 365


I waited until nighttime to ride today. I went out about 10 pm. Just around my neighborhood, as I usually do if I end up riding late. Although there are some clouds floating around, the moon has been bright tonight and I wanted to be outside for it.

I really would like to go for a longer night ride, but I don't think it's safe even on our more deserted roads. Just the fact that there's hardly any traffic makes me think a person driving a car down one of those roads would be so shocked to see a bicyclist that they might hit you in their surprise! Plus I suspect I would get pretty freaked out riding along some tall corn or trees in the dark...


Here are some pictures I took at the park the other day. I thought the moss was sufficiently creepy for a post about riding around in the dark. The spider webs are definitely creepy.


Tomorrow I'll post some other pictures of the park, to give the moss some context. I never really paid attention to it all until I was thinking about what I wanted to photograph the other day. It's gothic in a way, I think. Or something.


Miles today: 1 Total miles: 213

3 comments:

sistersmn said...

The photo of that first web is awesome! Thank you! We have webs like this on the lawn and can see them in the morning dew. I've never thought much of them, but will look more closely next time.
I think you are wise not to ride the country roads after dark. I think being on a bicycle is even more unsafe than walking, and more difficult to get out of the way of a speeding car. So stay safe and in the neighborhood after dark!
Cindy is reading your blog! I have been faithful and faithful to "Mudflats" as well. Love it!

Kerilou said...

You really have a thing for spiders and webs, dontcha? Like knowing I am squirming here? LOL Our moon has been very bright too. Be careful after dark!
Keri

Pam said...

I love the spider photos! We have a lot of bikers around here, some of them have lights that are powered by the pedaling. But still...

I bought a light reflective vest to walk at night with the dog, but meh...it's just *so* dark, even with so many houses in the neighborhoods. I just don't think it's worth it! And I can't see if he poops in someone's lawn, lol.