Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Days 42 & 43


We had pouring rainstorms today. Lots of lightning, thunder and wind, too. I was able to get a ride in between the rain, but I didn't go very far-- just up to the Mennonite church. I didn't want to risk getting caught in one of those storms.

I thought maybe I'd be able to get one of those dramatic "rain drop on foliage" pictures, but all I got was this photo of grass with slimy stuff underneath. Black crickets were everywhere. What's the significance of that I don't know, but it was interesting.


This isn't the greatest picture of a Chickweed Geometer Moth. It was the best I could do, however! This was taken a week or so ago and I only just identified it. I did find an Audubon Society guide to butterflies, but not moths. Apparently there are thousands upon thousands of varieties of moths and only tens of thousands varieties of butterflies. So identifying moths has been much more difficult.

Yesterday I rode to the mailbox and back, about a mile each way. Mondays are going to be challenging for me, as I have work and then school in the evening. But I'm sure I can make it work.

Miles today and yesterday: 6 Total miles: 212

4 comments:

sistersmn said...

You must have an eagle eye to spot that moth. Amazing! And I had no idea there were so many species. I only know the white ones that eat holes in our wool clothing!
The political plot thickens! About time! Keep up the good work/riding!

Kerilou said...

Great moth photo! I got photos from 2 different yellow moth sitings, but they are different from this one. Same yellow, different markings! congrats on your progress!
Kerilou

Pam said...

Very nice photos!! Good job on your mileage too!

sistersmn said...

I am missing you!