Friday, August 15, 2008

Day 18 of 365


I'm really squeaking in under the wire with this post!

I just got in a short bit ago; my aunt is visiting from Bucks County so I rode down to my mom's to see her. (And to see my mom, of course)

My mom's house is six miles from mine if you travel the back roads, which is the only way I go right now. I don't feel confident enough to ride through the middle of town yet. Too many hills and not enough shoulder for my taste. Soon, though.

I felt great today. I thought for sure I would be hurting and miserable after my 12 mile debacle yesterday, but I actually felt fantastic-- strong, even. I didn't need to stop until around the four mile mark, and that was because there was a STEEP hill that I just couldn't ride all the way up.

I had decided not to stop to take any pictures until I had reached that point where I had to stop, and I was very pleased with how far I was able to go. I'm improving, no doubt about it!

I pass a quarry on the way to my mom's, and I have to say that the picture above doesn't do it justice. It's huge. Really big. Almost directly across the street is an Amish farm, and here you can see the tobacco that they're growing. Three Amish-- two women and a man-- were there picking the leaves, but of course I didn't photograph them.

I have to say that I'm so glad I'm not an Amishwoman. Not only do they do all the "women's work" like cleaning, cooking, gardening and childcare, they're always out in the fields working, too. I often see them driving mule teams or doing other fieldwork.

I'm definitely too lazy for that life.

Miles today: 6 Total miles: 111

No comments: