Monday, August 18, 2008

Day 21 of 365


Wow! Can you believe it's been three weeks since I started this challenge? And guess what? I haven't lost one single pound.

The point of riding 365 days wasn't really to lose weight, although I was hoping it would be a lovely side effect. But when you eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, chicken with cheese and BBQ sauce for lunch and then chips and ice cream for dinner what can you really expect?!

That's bad eating no matter what your weight. So I've decided to get serious and hit the health food. Or at least eat cleaner. I'm all set to start-- tomorrow. Tonight I had a "last meal" of chicken flautas with green sauce, guacamole and chips with salsa, washed down with a coke. (Regular only, I don't eat artificial sweeteners) Ice cream for dessert. Of course I've had many of these "last meals," so we'll see how it goes. Maybe the blog will keep me honest... although I don't plan to post about my eating habits very often.

So after this Mexican feast I hopped on my bike and headed out for a short ride down to the Mennonite church. Once I got there I thought, "Well, I could probably go a little farther," and it started all over again, just like it did the day I got lost.

I didn't go nearly as far, in fact I only went half the distance, but the terrain was even more hilly than the other day. I have to say that going fast down some of these steep hills almost makes the uphill climb worth it.

I took these pictures on one of the flatter parts of the trip. It's a road that's cut into the side of a hill. Not a big hill, but big enough. I don't know if you can see how the cows are grazing on a slope. But trust me, they are.

Across the road from them is the barn from the photo above. It's not exactly one of those yard signs, but same idea I think. Down below you can see a picture that puts the barn in context with its surroundings.

As I was speeding down one of the steeper hills I saw Jimson Weed and Honeysuckle, two flowers I haven't gotten pictures of yet. And then I saw sheep! Some of them were sheared and some of them were very, very woolly. But there was no way I was going to give up my momentum on that hill-- I needed it to help me get up the next one. Once I get stronger I'll stop and photograph them.

Also, I want to mention that Mexican food and cranberry juice make a very sour mix...


Miles today: 6 Total miles: 130

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

And good luck with eating better!

This past week I cut out all soda (I'm a diet coke freak), white sugar, and white flour. HARD! I did cheat a little yesterday and today to celebrate the birthdays of my daughter, hubby, and MIL. I did lose a little (1.5), so hopefully once adding in some exercise I will get there.......

Kerilou said...

Great saying on that barn! You live in such a lovely area, I am really enjoying it! Keep up the good work!
Kerilou