Thursday, August 21, 2008

Day 24 of 365

My aunt Barb is back in town and look what she found! Actually, this Black Swallowtail butterfly had been sitting among the flowers in my mother's garden all day. It was just as docile as the Monarch from yesterday-- in fact, it had been sitting on my arm before it fluttered over to her shoulder.






I rode around down by my mom's today, although I didn't ride from my house to hers. There's a lot of construction going on around her. Some of it more modest than others. How about this place:

It doesn't really say Lancaster County, does it? Countians aren't exactly known for being free with their money, so seeing houses like this is a bit confounding. But there are a bunch of them in this area. Three, four, five car garages. There's even a house in this development that's practically a block long! Ok, maybe not that big, but it has a five car garage and looks like a hotel.

Development has its place, but I like this part of Lancaster County:


Miles today: 5 Total miles: 146

7 comments:

Kerilou said...

Those are some crazy-huge houses! WOW! I like your view of Lancaster better, too! The butterfly is gorgeous!
Kerilou

bikesister said...

What a pretty butterfly--and so friendly. We were at the Botanic Garden in Brooklyn this weekend and there were tons of butterlfies there, too. But none were so docile; they were flying from flower to flower. The bees were more sedate! I got a few blurry butterflies, but some nice bee photos. Say hi to mom and barb from me.

Anonymous said...

That house with the 5-car garage is obscene!

Leslie

Anonymous said...

Hi, we still haven't left! I wanted to see if the anonymous button does work ;) The houses over there are ridiculous. Probably two people, four dogs, five plasma tvs, and seven cars will live there. xx sarah

Anonymous said...

Wow those are some big houses. I envy you your bike riding. I hadn't been on a bike in over 10 years when I got on one semi-recently and let me just say that the saying that you'll never forget is wrong! I felt like I was 7 years old all over again and never really got the stearing and swirving down (plus we live in the suburbs so not as many beautiful sights & straight paths to keep me going). So I guess I'll live vicariously through you.

Brandy said...

Beautiful buttterfly - I've been trying all summer to get some pics as I've seen tons of them. But alas, they never stop long enough for me to get a good pic.

Those houses are amazing! I can't imagine having to clean something so large!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Your aunt writes: Thanks for including me on your blog -- which I truly enjoy! Love the photos and your identification of the flowers. I know it takes a lot of time and research on your part. From reading the comments, I know I'm not the only one who appreciates your good work. And keep up the biking -- you are an inspiration! Love you -- always.